Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jo[_3_] Jo[_3_] is offline

Default Legal height for conifers?

"Tom" wrote in message
Sally Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 6 May 2008 19:50:42 +0100, Jo wrote
(in article c6Odnf4zAYUeNb3VnZ2dnUVZ8v6dnZ2d@plusnet):

Is there a legal height for conifers?

The owners of the garden behind ours have a wall of 4 enormous conifers
which, over the past few years, have grown so tall that they are
increasingly blocking the sunlight in our garden.

We were wondering if there is a legal height for such trees.

AFAIR it is 2 metres. There's an outfit called Hedge Line which appears
to be hosted he
http://freespace.virgin.net/clare.h/

They should have the information you want. However, it would be better
to talk to your neighbours first in a friendly way to see if they would
agree to lopping them.

You'll know from my posts I'm about as much a beginner gardener as it's
possible to be :-) But I'd always try and resolve an issue with neighbours
in a friendly way. Most of the time the neighbour doesn't even realise
there's an issue.

Quite some time ago I knew the neighbour quite well and mentioned it to her.
She realised that the conifers were growing too large and indicated that she
couldn't afford to get them cut....so she moved house!