Old 06-05-2008, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Race Malcolm Race is offline

Default Steel - Plastic Supports

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Mon, 05 May 2008 14:57:32 +0100, judith
wrote:

In the past I bought "canes" which were steel covered in plastic with
knurled surfaces.

I know that they are quite expensive - but I wondered if anyone knows
of a good supplier of them - I am thinking 2.4m long (for runner
beans) - expecting they will outlast me !!!!

I know the chap who owns a company that made those supports. They have
given up on that product because they were only selling a few hundred
a month. He doesn't know any other manufacturers.

If they are not made ay more, could you find a company that will dip
coat steel rods for you? - I am thinking of concrete re-inforcing bar -
it usually has a spiral surface. You would however have to removethe
surface rust first.

AFAIK having seen it on a small scale in a school technology department,
it involves putting the heated object in a fluid bed (container with air
blown through it) of polythene beads

Malcolm