Old 07-05-2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Burr Oaks

I just blew some leaves away from an area and many acorns were growing in
leaves. They are not in the soil but in the duff. Maybe planting acorns
down in the soil is too deep.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...orns_duff.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 May 2008 19:40:05 -0400, "Jacqueline Davidson"
wrote:

My sister has sent what she calls burr oak acorns. I want to plant them.
Should acorns have the cute little caps removed before planting? Should
they be scored? soaked? What?
Thanks, Jackie, zone 7

The acorn should be fully dried and brown and the whole of it is
planted. In nature, squirrels and crows do this. I have a bur oak,
and several climax live oaks which produce acorns and I also have tiny
trees coming up everywhere on the property. I dig them out and give
them away to friends. It can take a year for the acorn to sprout the
seed inside of it.