Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default How can I manually clean a pond?

On Tue, 6 May 2008 13:59:34 EDT, wrote:

When I bought my new house the owners left a pond with ten goldfish(?)
in it and it has gradually become dirty and full of algae. It never
had an electric filter system and I can't afford one, so is there a
way I can manually clean the water?

I'm thinking perhaps I could scoop out bucketfuls of water and filter
it through something like cotton wool, layers of muslin or sand (or
all three?). Can anyone offer any advice please?

How big is the pond?

If small, bucket enough to catch and hold the fish in. Then bucket it out
till you can use a shop vac on the rest of it, including the debris on the
bottom. Do not scrub sides, rinse off, but do not remover any thing growing
solid on it. Fill, add dechlor or an chlorine & ammonia remover, float
bucket in the pond till the waters come to equal temps and turn goldfish
loose.

Then watch craiglist, or similar, for a cheap pump. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us