Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JB[_1_] JB[_1_] is offline

Default How can I manually clean a pond?

How big is the pond, you think? Any idea on the number of gallons? You can
build your own filter for less than you think. My first was my pump
"wrapped" in a mesh bag filled with bio balls, stuffed in a milk crate with
an air conditioner filter wrapped on the outside. Kept my 800 gallon pond
crystal clear.

JB

wrote in message
When I bought my new house the owners left a pond with ten goldfish(?)
in it and it has gradually become dirty and full of algae. It never
had an electric filter system and I can't afford one, so is there a
way I can manually clean the water?

I'm thinking perhaps I could scoop out bucketfuls of water and filter
it through something like cotton wool, layers of muslin or sand (or
all three?). Can anyone offer any advice please?