Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 PM
old perennial old perennial is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harris View Post
I have a lot of moss, buttercup and dandelion in my lawn and want to get rid of it. I also have
naturalised crocus. I gave the lawn its first cut recently (which decapitated the crocus) and am
now planning a chemical assault towards the end of May.

I need something that will kill the weeds but leave the near-dormant crocus alone.

What should I go for or avoid?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
The scarifying in spring really works treat as to enhancing thehealth of ones lawn as it allows moisture and oxygen to get into the base of the grass.

I dont use weed killers but prefer to remove dandilions etc with a long knife ditto the flat weeds like plantain and thistle. To fill in the gaps left by weeding i have a coupl eof pot carrying trays from the GC which I fill the circles with compost into which I sow grass seed. This produces any number of circular grass turfs. I just take out a weed and pop in circle of grass 'any time'. No hassle. looks good straight away!

I buy a liquid lawn feed called lawn Magic from a website www.superspray.co.uk and have one of their supersprays to apply it with. It fixes to a hosepipe. I find that the pelleted feeds can burn the lawn if it doesnt rain soon after application. Lawn Magic name sounds a bit corny but the stuff really is good. 1l or 5litre.

Hope this helps