Old 07-05-2008, 05:00 PM
old perennial old perennial is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbgarden View Post
Hi all,

I've tried to read the FAQ's before posting but all the ones I tried
returned a page not found?

So... We have a large untouched for years garden that we want to
gradually reclaim by fencing off a bit at a time (to keep the
neighbour out!) and we'd like to put in raised beds. BUT ... what
sort of stuff do you use for an organic garden? Plastic (listening to
the news about babies bottles today none to keen on that one)or
treated wood, or untreated wood?

Sue.
Who is confused and liable to remain so for some considerable time as
she tackles one garden issue after another.
The term organic gardening covers such a wide set of asperations. To some it means growing veg without using artificle fertilizers or using insecticides etc. But if you widen it to include the edging to the beds then does the concrete path between the beds become subject to the organic test?

I use treated timber which is 'Tanelised' to stop it rotting. Not old sleepers that may have been soaked in Creasote as that stuff is poison and it leaches out.

They say organic vegetables taste better. Thats a matter of opinion. I think its more to do with the fact that the vegetables we plant have been bred for taste rather than maturing together or for keeping qualities or bug resistance like the commercial growers go for.

I wouldny worry about ethical issues surrounding what you use to retain your beds but stick to using organic fertilizers and not using insecticides.