Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Burr Oaks

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Tue, 6 May 2008 21:37:31 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

I just blew some leaves away from an area and many acorns
were growing in leaves. They are not in the soil but in
the duff. Maybe planting acorns down in the soil is too
deep.

Better not tell the bur oak, live oak, and red oaks
because the crows bury the acorns about two inches down in
the soil. I have plants all over coming up. Not to say
the acorns in the litter wont germinate, but usually their
fate is limited to the litter layer in that case.

right, the ones that germinate in the duff, or aren't buried
tend to dry out & die before the root gets established. not
always, because there are always exceptions, but most of the
time. i have the same problems germinating my American
chestnuts. i was not burying them far enough down...
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there