Old 07-05-2008, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default Automatic irrigation timers and pressure

On 6 May, 12:41, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
On 6 May, 08:37, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I have a Hozelock system, which includes this timerhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Aqua-Control-Water-Computer/dp/B000T...

It has worked well for a couple of seasons so far. *As far as I
can tell, the timer is simply a motor driven valve. *As it opens
or closes a motor whirrs briefly. *When in operation there seems
to be no significant flow obstruction.

OK, many thanks Chris, that's useful information, I'll give it a go.

I thought I'd better report back to the group for archival posterity.

Before spending cash on a Hozelock timer I thought I may as well try
to work out what was going on inside the B&Q one. After a bit of
knocking it about the whining noise stopped, I think it was just some
sort of resonance going on inside. Also I found a nasty little filter,
a dome of wire mesh within a very constrictive rubber washer. I've
taken that out and the flow is now as good as without the timer on at
all. Result!

Clearly the filter is to stop "stuff" getting into the innards of the
device. I've no idea what sort of stuff might be floating about in the
mains water supply, but I'm quite happy to take my chances seeing as I
now have a properly functional system.

Cheers!

Martin