Old 07-05-2008, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Will a tree become 'protected' if/when it grows large?

Broadback wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
writes:
| When/how does a tree become a 'protected' tree - as in a tree that
| you're not allowed to cut down? Does the local council or whatever
| have to explicitly place a protection order on the tree or what?

Yes. And the owner of the property has a chance to object.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

But what starts the whole process? I don't think the council go round
peering in back gardens, and presumably no one actually wants a
preservation order

Our trees became protected because a neighbour cut down one of his, then
someone, who does not live particularly close, asked the council to
protect the rest, which they did. To be honest once they have made a
decision objecting, seems to me, is a waste of time! Then when it dies
not only do you have the cost of having it removed but you have to
replace it with like! Of course if the council decides it wants it down,
for whatever reason, then down it comes!

Reminds me of an incident in our area when a protected tree fell on a
protected cottage. Nobody seemed to see the funny side of that