Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Jenny Rizzo

Default Repotting a Spathe Flower / Problem with clay pots

I have a spathe flower (spathiphyllum) in my office that has quadrupled in
size in the past year and a half. It flowered for the first time a few
months ago. Early last fall I re-potted it in a pretty clay pot (it had
been in a plastic pot). Now it seems to require more frequent watering,
possibly because of the porus pot. Also, the plant has lost it's nice shape
and is growing irregularly since the re-potting. Is the irregular growth
typical of this type of plant as it matures? Would you recommend against a
plastic pot for any reason? Also, I'm thinking if I get a plastic pot
that's deep that may help the plant from drooping (of course being dry is
likely the cause of the drooping).

The plant is in my office and even after Friday afternoon waterings, it's
staring to droop by Monday morning. Can't move the plant home because of
the cats (I'm concerned about the flower's irritants to the skin & mucous
membranes).

Thanks in advance for any advice.