Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default trees, burr Oak etc

On 5/7/2008 4:57 PM, Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
I have germinated one catalpa seed and it is doing well though only about 3
inches tall.
(new house for us)
One acorn from an oak in the front of some kind germinated but I put it in
the sun and it was not happy so I have brought it back into the sun room, a
room with southern exposure.
The "burr Oak acorns" do not look like the picture I have found. The acorns
are large and round, and the hoods cover at least 3/4 of the acorn.
I have two hazel nuts to plant, a live oak acorn, and two chinaberry tree
seeds to work with.
We have a back with no trees, a front with very tall oaks, hickory, and
unknowns. I want to put trees in the back.
Being 74 I doubt tht I will see much of the growing trees, and we plan to
plant some tall ones from the nursery too.
But I thought it would be fun to get these seeds I have to germinate.
I thank everyone for your comments.
Jackie, zone 7.

Being 74 is no reason not to plant a tree. In Judaism, there is a
tradition of planting olive trees, which are slow to mature, so that
your grandchildren might enjoy harvesting the fruit.

I'm 66 and planted grape vines this year. They won't produce a crop for
about three years. They are planted on a slope so steep that I might
not be able to climb and harvest the grapes then. I hurt all over now
from climbing the slope to pull weeds. But someday, someone else will
enjoy my grapes.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean