Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Alwyn Reilly Alwyn Reilly is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
Each year I get some problem with moss mostly on my front lawn, but this
year it more prolific and has nearly covered my back lawn.
I have used 'Evergreeen' feed, weed and mosskiller, which it did, then I
raked up about 90 odd percent of it on both lawns, and now I have ended
up with quite a few bare areas with not much grass.
After cutting both lawns I have seen that there are still a few small
areas of moss where I missed when treating the lawns.

What should I do now, or what sequence of events should I follow to get
both lawns looking better again?

Thanks
To get rid of moss without a lot of digging and working. Here is a quick fix . Dissolve 4 tablespoons of sulphate of Iron in a watering can, warm water, and stir to make sure the mix is dissolved. Note Sulphate of Iron will stain pavoir bricks tar paths and concrete so mix and use carefully. Then water it in. I use a sprinkle bar and practiced with small areas first, just enough to wet the areas. I now never put sulphate of iron on by broadcast method as I believe over time high dosage encourages Poa Annua. The best thing to do is do a small area with the watering can and if results are OK (the grass will green up to)remember your method and stick to it. I'm one to preach at the moment as my own lawn needs the same treatment and I havent got round to it!!!!!! You can do this in winter too, I tried it and it works.Lovely green colour. I got the idea from a gardener who writes articles in local farming newspaper and lives in southern Ireland.
alwyn