Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Gardening Pesticides for Fruit Trees

Richard1957 wrote:

Hi does anybody know where I could purchase the following pesticides?
Carbendazim and Fenitrothion? Thanks!

--
Richard1957

Richard,

The general rule of thumb in starting a spraying program is to start with the
light stuff first and work your way into stronger stuff, only if the need
arises.

The two biggest insect pests in the USA for apples are the apple maggot and
codling moth. Not everyone has these two, so people can get by with a
general
all purpose orchard spray. These sprays can be considered relatively mild
and
protect against insects and fungal diseases. If you find problems after
applying
these general purpose sprays, you can investigate other sprays that
specifically
target those symptoms. You can buy these general purpose sprays at your
local garden shop. I don't think the UK has many special problems that we
don't
experience here in the States, so you can check our web sites for spraying
info.

You have to go on a regular spraying schedule. Missing a spray date could
have
a big effect on how much fruit you lose, or the health of your trees.
Experience
will tell you how to tailor the recommended schedules for your exact
location.
Don't forget to wear protective gear (breather mask, etc.) when spraying any
chemicals.

Regards to the Mother-In-Law,

Sherwin