Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Wasps and Bees

Hi all

Yes it's the old wasp "chestnut" again!
Having suffered with a nest in the loft and subsequent contamination of our
storage tanks by the blighters, I guess I am more sensitive than most to
these pests (yes I accept that there will be hoards of wasp huggers along to
defend their behaviour in 2 shakes).

The question is: having encountered 2 wasps in the loft the other day, does
this indicate a definite nest site? There are no windows/veluxes into this
space.
I have surveyed the fascia/tile area around the house and have seen no wasps
entering/leaving the roof area.
(In the past when nests have been a problem, the wasps have been seen
queueing in flight to enter)
Will these two have been scouting for a possible nest site?

Also found what looked like 2 honey bees in the kitchen this morning but
they may have flown in during yesterday through an open window.

Would rather discourage such visitors before they set up home as I use the
loft spaces for frequently accessed storage.

Phil