Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb ?

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"the_constructor" wrote in message
newsZGdnbwWLsCgh7_VnZ2dnUVZ8sijnZ2d@plusnet.. .
Last year I was given a rhubarb plant which I planted in the garden.
Prepared a plot and dug in a bag full of compost.

Over the last couple of weeks, the rhubarb has shot up... probably because
it has got a little warmer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first harvest.....
Is this correct ?

I've never heard that, we dined on ours on Tuesday and are still here ...

A reason for not harvesting rhubarb in its first season (as opposed to
the first leaves of the season) would be to allow the plant to establish
properly - too aggressive harvesting would weaken the plant. It sounds
as if his plant is sufficiently established that at least light
harvesting wouldn't be a problem.

(Over the years I've dug up the old rhubarb bed on the allotment, which
when I inherited it was mixed with brambles, nettles and couch grass,
and established a new, smaller, bed. I left most of the plants in the
new bed to their own devices last year.)

2. When should I harvest the plant ?

When you want to use it.

Mary

--