Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Choosing a lawn weed and feed?

the_constructor wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Steve Harris wrote:
I have a lot of moss, buttercup and dandelion in my lawn and want to get
rid of it.

I need something that will kill the weeds but leave the near-dormant
crocus alone. What should I go for or avoid?

Rather than apply combined weed and feed which might cause some collateral
damage to the crocus if they are still actively growing with green leaves
above ground why not spot weed with a broadleaf specific herbicide and
then add the fertiliser (if at all) separately.

You can then hit the worst of the dandelions (I find yanking them out with
a 12" screwdriver very satisfying for this rather than chemical means
YMMV) and buttercup with a sprayer wand.

This way uses a lot less chemical on just the areas that need it than a
full weed and feed for the whole lawn.

I am suffering with the same problem, except my dandelions are all over the
lawn, like a blanket, so spot doing a bit of spot weed would be a fruitless
task. I need something that can zap them all at once.
James

Be careful what you wish for.

Any broadleaf specific weedkiller or lawn weed & feed will do to knock
down a mostly weeds lawn. My preference would still be to use a sprayer
to apply it. But you may have to wait a while for the grass to
recolonise the large gaps left when the dandelions expire. Hit it soon
before the dandelions can set seed and meanwhile keep zapping the flowers.

If it is really really bad with lots of deep rooted perennial weeds then
killing everything stone dead with glyphosate and making a new lawn from
scratch might be the best solution.

Regards,
Martin Brown