Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Will a tree become 'protected' if/when it grows large?

Steve Harris wrote:
In article , (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

| When/how does a tree become a 'protected' tree - as in a tree that
| you're not allowed to cut down? Does the local council or whatever
| have to explicitly place a protection order on the tree or what?

Yes. And the owner of the property has a chance to object.

If the tree is in a "Conservation Area"

- You are not allowed to cut down ANY tree willy nilly

What's a tree? That was really the import of my original question,
when does a sapling become a tree? Obviously (I hope) we can clear a
two foot high oak sapling growing at the edge of our lawn but on the
other hand there must be some point at which it would become 'a tree'.

--
Chris Green