Old 22-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Douglas Bolt

Default Ponds vanish in 2 feet of snow

Robyn,

I also live in Maryland and too am "enjoying" the snow...
Thought you might enjoy comparing some pics of our pond taken last summer
and this week.

Pond last summer: http://www.boltassociates.com/Backyard/
Pond this week: http://www.boltassociates.com/Snow/

doug bolt
Visit: http://www.boltassociates.com

Robyn Rhudy wrote:
I live in Central Maryland.
Um, I don't think I'm going to work tomorrow, or
maybe not even Tuesday if we can't get a front-end loader in here.
It's 2:30 pm Sunday. The snow ranges in depth from 20-26 inches in
spots. My dad can't keep the road open as there's no place to push
the snow, the mower is dying, and the gas is running low. I have to
wear my pond hip waders to walk outside and it's very slow, snow half
way up my thigh. I'm barely able to keep the pond waterfall going. I
covered the top of the filter with a plastic big tub lid and lead
diving weights because it was coming too fast for the water to stay
open. There are birds all over desperate for food and the feeders I
filled Friday are nearly empty, and I don't have much food left for
them. I brought the rabbit in but the chickens are closed in their
6'x6' house and fighting quite a bit about it. If it keeps up
through tomorrow, this may be our biggest snowfall ever! The falls
are still running in my 1800 gallon pond but with all the snow, it's
hard to see and the sound is completely muted out! My 153 gallon
pond is open from an air bubbler and de-icer. The birds want to
drink from it but there's a two foot cliff of snow all around and no
place to land! The only open water in my 1800 gallon pond is two
small spots where the running falls are exposed and birds and trying
to drink from it, on the wing! My other 4 ponds outside have
completely vanished and no longer exist!

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_