Old 09-05-2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Katey Didd Katey Didd is offline

Default Squash vine borers

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article , says...
How do you stop them from killing the vines? I tried to cover the vines
with
soil but that didn't work. I tried Sevin dust. That didn't work either.
What
are you doing that works? We are growing squash, water mellons and
cantalopes.

Are you talking about them being already in the vines and boring?

If possible I'd like to keep them out of the vines. The seedlings just came
up the other day.

If they're already in the vines, slit the vine near the point of entry,
remove the borers and then immediately cover the slit with earth. The
vine should put down roots at that point.

Oh I heard about this, but they never rooted. They'd wilt and die. Finding
where the borer is in the vine is not so easy even when the hole is found.

We've done it for squash. It worked. We moved to butternut squash
because it keeps (just ate the last of the harvest) and it's resistant
to borer.

We don't do melons.

*Be aware that Sevin is particularly toxic to bees.*

Yes, that has us concerned. Will check sites below. Thanks.

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/squash_pest.html

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef314.asp

http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/squash-vine-borer.html

http://www.backyardgardener.com/wcgp...ash_borer.html