Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default vermiculite

If you want to look at details, ALL media components are a risk, to some
extent.

Perlite is almost 100% silica, which can cause silicosis. Same is true of
diatomite.

Be smart in how you handle it and all will be well.

I worked with uranium- and thorium oxides in college, both toxic as hell,
but I'm still here to talk about it - because I took relevant and
appropriate precautions. Hell, trichosporosis - a fungal infection from
sphagnum - is a bigger threat.

(And no, my recent "episode" with melanoma was not related to any of the
above)

"unknown" wrote in message
i remembered that either vermiculite or perlite was a problem, but i
couldn't remember which.

are there problems with perlite?

oh, and potting soil can give you legionnaire's disease.

--j_a

In article ,
"Diana Kulaga" wrote:

Well, that's not particularly good news, now is it? Vermiculite is in
most
potting mixes for those *other* plants. Wonder if it's in some of the
commercially mixed orchid stuff?

For my part, I mix my own orchid media, so it's not an issue unless we're
working on other potted plants, which is not common.

Diana