Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish
Hal Ó Mearadhaigh. Hal Ó Mearadhaigh. is offline

Default Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides

jl wrote:
In article ,
Way Back Jack wrote:
TV documentaries and travelogues reveal a lot of lush "green" in
those countrysides but a relative scarcity of trees. Is it climate?
Too windy in Ireland? Sheep and/or other livestock?

The Roe Valley has quite a few very nice woods, though a lot of the
large commercial forests are terrible and a scar on the countryside.
Farmers tended to fell trees everywhere except around their houses I
think, hence certain places have many fine old trees.

Our own house was build on the site of an old farm house and there
must be about sixty trees on our site, most of them near a hundred
years old. Some of them, particularly the ash trees are a wonderful
sight.

They were planted as a windbreak, and do that job quite well.

Jochen

I am sure. But you should be considering replacement trees and planting
saplings. The older trees are mature and will start to die all too soon.
What about your windbreak then?
--
Hal Ó Mearadhaigh.