Old 09-05-2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Squash vine borers

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Katey Didd wrote:
How do you stop them from killing the vines? I tried to cover the vines
with soil but that didn't work. I tried Sevin dust. That didn't work
either. What are you doing that works? We are growing squash, water
mellons and cantalopes.

There's a squash variety called "tatuma" that is resistant to squash
borers. Just be warned that the vines are aggressive and can run about
50 feet. They taste pretty good, though.

Bob

Tatuma is delicious. :-)
Now I just need to look for seeds! No, I'm not the OP, but I've had the
same trouble so had just given up on even trying to grow squashes or
melons.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein