Old 09-05-2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Squash vine borers

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

How do you stop them from killing the vines? I tried to cover the vines
with
soil but that didn't work. I tried Sevin dust. That didn't work either.
What
are you doing that works? We are growing squash, water mellons and
cantalopes.

I personally gave up on trying. :-(
I'm considering trying them as a fall crop. Some people report good
success by spraying the bases with BT on a regular basis. Others have
tried sevin spray instead of sevin dust.

If we can't find something to work we too will give up on these crops. With
prices so high in the stores and loving these veggies I thought I'd try one
more time growing them.

If the list gives us alternatives, we'll both be happy. :-)

I just read one post that said butternut is resistant. We love that
stuff but it's a winter squash. I'd like to be able to grow both.

Tatuma really is good. They sell it in the stores here so I may give
that a try. Baby pumpkin also eats well as a green squash and I don't
recall whether we had problems with borers or not with those. It's been
too long since I've grown one.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein