Old 09-05-2008, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Squash vine borers

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Katey Didd wrote:
How do you stop them from killing the vines? I tried to cover the vines
with soil but that didn't work. I tried Sevin dust. That didn't work
either. What are you doing that works? We are growing squash, water
mellons and cantalopes.

There's a squash variety called "tatuma" that is resistant to squash
borers. Just be warned that the vines are aggressive and can run about 50
feet. They taste pretty good, though.

I have not seen these seeds in the stores. Is this a winter or summer
squash?

Bob

Summer, but I, too, would have to look for (or mail order) the seeds.
They sell the squash in the stores locally.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein