Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Will a tree become 'protected' if/when it grows large?

Muddymike wrote:
wrote in message
When/how does a tree become a 'protected' tree - as in a tree that
you're not allowed to cut down? Does the local council or whatever
have to explicitly place a protection order on the tree or what?

--
Chris Green

I live in a conservation area and have 140 trees in my garden. The rule here
(North Yorkshire) is that I can do what I like with any tree under 75mm dia
at a point 1 mtr from the ground. Bigger than that I need planning
permission to do anything.

Just curious - what happens if emergency tree surgery is needed because
an old tree or part of one falls across a neighbouring road during a
winter storm ? (as happens in our village most winters)

Noone waits for planning permission before attacking it with chain saws
to make the situation safe again. These trees are 25cm to 1m diameter...

Regards,
Martin Brown