Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
the_constructor the_constructor is offline

Default Rhubarb ?

"Kase" wrote in message

"the_constructor" wrote in message
newsZGdnbwWLsCgh7_VnZ2dnUVZ8sijnZ2d@plusnet...
Last year I was given a rhubarb plant which I planted in the garden.
Prepared a plot and dug in a bag full of compost.

Over the last couple of weeks, the rhubarb has shot up... probably
because it has got a little warmer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I was told that you are not supposed to eat the first harvest.....
Is this correct ?

A little bit of Chinese Whispers methinks!

It's not that you don't eat the first harvest (if that were the case then
forced rhubarb would all have to be chucked!) If the plant is young or
small, you don't harvest from it in the first year to allow the plant to
build up a good root system. However, if it has thrown up plenty of sturdy
sticks then it will not harm to take a few so long as you stop picking
mid-end June and let the plant build up it's reserves for next year.

My thanks to all who replied.

Rhubarb and ice cream.... Lovely.
Looking forward to making same rhubarb wine.. as well.

James