Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Bilko got me thinking

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Clark... said:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
got the rest of the onions in - and the blueberries, and the
blackberries. Still have rasberries and corn to go. Watered the
transplanted honey suckle and lilacs. Gotta get the pump going from
the brook - we've been carting water so far.

Ya know you got me thinking, (A rare feat indeed)!!!
I water the lawn with the hose as we have town water, and that fancy
indoor
plumbing too...
I have a 1 3/4 hp pool pump AND a sump pump I used to use to pump washing
machine water up six feet with.(electric)
We have a stream that goes through the property, and I thought about
hooking
up one of those pumps with an adapter or two so I could attach it to my
regular lawn hose.
I was really excited about the whole idea, crap I must be getting
old,
I used to get excited about fast cars.

Still do. =P

anyway, I thought HEY free water for my lawn! but with the price of water
out here, Southampton MA. we only pay about $42.00 a yearly quarter for
our
water anyway.
I would bet I would spend more money on electricity to power the pump,
our
electric bill is about $200.00 a month already, 2 fridges, 2
dehumidifiers,
2 air,conditioners, 1 stand up freezer, and five computers (that we use
regularly) It's just the two of us but for some reason we need all this..

but I digress, then I thought, go to the tractor supply and get a gas
powered pump for $250.00 and pay for the gas too...nope..
So I guess it would be best to stick with the town water....
I was looking forward to a project to..

If the creek has running water all of the time, you could make a small
waterwheel to power the pump. If not, a couple oxen working a wheel could
power it. Hell, using that idea, they'd probably have enough power to work
a grist mill too, grinding pine nuts! =)

Maybe I should do something with the old Toro? a go-cart maybe?

You could always make a mole killer out of it. =)

--

Eggs

They makes pumps that run off a tractor PTO !! That'll take care of your
"stinkin thinkin" chuckle