Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default ideas please

On 9/5/08 18:38, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 9/5/08 14:37, in article ,
"mart99" wrote:

I have 4 beds(6feet by 10) edged with 9 inch high buxus,they have had roses
in for many years but the roses are past thier best and we fancy a change
but we are unsure what to change to. Any suggetions would be appreciated. A
few more facts :

sandy soil
south facing aspect in full sun
would like a centre piece in each bed and suroounding planting ?

thanks for reading

Well not more roses anyway, because the received wisdom is that you don't
replant roses where roses have been recently. Look for lists of plants that
specifically like sandy soil and free draining hot situations. Cytisus is
one that comes to mind and so do Lavatera and Cistus. Bearded iris, poppies
and true Geraniums would do, too.

I would have thought that the usual suspects among Lavateras ('Rosea',
'Barnsley', 'Kew Rose', 'Bredon Springs') would have been too big and
too sprawling to go with formal Box hedging. Lavatera olbia cultivars
tend to be more upright. Herbaceous Lavateras can be upright in their
first season, but also tend to sprawl to a degree as they get big.

Lavatera maritima ('Bicolor', 'Princesse de Lignes') is a smaller plant,
and has a long flowering season. Other mallows that could be tried are
Anisodonteas (Cape mallows). Both do better with the shelter of a wall.

On the lines of Cistus there's Halimium and xHalimiocistus, which I have
the impression are neater plants.

The OP wants something as a centrepiece, hence my thought of Lavateras.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk