Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Newbie: Goldfish pond requirements

wrote:

I'm just being silly really..

If it helps any, I've been in much the same situation with my pond and
reluctantly accepted that it just really isn't big enough for Koi. I
know I could get some small ones and then trade them on later but I
prefer to think of my fish as pets for life. I don't keep goldfish in
any of my indoor tanks anymore so in some ways I have found the decision
to keep goldfish in my pond a bit of a come down, (I keep reef, south
american biotope, malawi biotope and one happy big muddle of fish from
all areas), but overall I am very happy with the decision. I became the
proud owner of 6 small Shubunkins last weekend and they are really
pretty....more Shubunkins to come over the next few weeks as I slowly
stock the pond....

I'm (hopefully) going to the gardening center today to have a proper
look at the little guys, so perhaps the excitement will come then..

I spent months checking out the fish at my local LFS - although still
tempted to ask for Koi at the last minute I resisted. There is nothing
not exciting about goldfish and other non-koi....I guess it is because
the perception is that the Koi is the King of the Pond Fish...and the
Shubunkin imo is very attractive.

Well, I'm a bit scared that I'll make many a mistake with the pond in
my first year.. winter.. water changes.. etc.. I don't really feel
confident to go against the advice of at least some of the people in
this group about the minimum depth and equipment level required.. I
don't want to have a koi massacre on my conscience :-)

Me too....another reason I settled for the Shubunkins.....the thought of
a pond without fish is something that does not compute with my brain.

Gill