Old 09-05-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Newbie: Goldfish pond requirements

On Thu, 8 May 2008 17:18:30 EDT, wrote:

No substrate then.. pity because you can see the bottom of the pond
quite well because it is so shallow. I presume in a couple of months
time the liner will have pretty much disappeared and have be replaced
by algae and brown mud?

More like a couple of weeks and it won't be algae or mud, but mulm/water
dust.

I think I read that you have a UV, and I assume the pump will be in the
pond? So what you're going to see at first, especially without plants in
the pond to compete against it, is string algae. It is just gonna love that
grid. In a couple of months I suspect you won't see past it, let alone be
worrying about the liner. ;-)))

Goldfish.. yes, I can't really work up much enthusiasm

No kidding? ;-)

hobby.. It does not help that Wikipedia refers to Shubunkins as "poor
man's koi" :-)

Isn't Wikipedia a site that anyone can edit? Seems someone should fix that
one.

Wakin are double tailed and, if I remember correctly, will thus be
eaten for breakfast by the single tailed varieties. Right?

Are you talking about the fry? Not any more likely than single tailed fry.
My wakins are pretty darn fast.

Sarassas: are these basically all white or white and red comets?

Red & white.

I can't remember whether you can mix "comet" breeds and "common"
goldfish safely?

Yes, the only goldfish that probably shouldn't be in a pond with other
varieties are probably the celestial eyed ones.

I personally have wakins and telescope fantails together as my personal
favorites. The one thing that is nice about fantails is they're easy to
catch if you need to remove them. I have a feeling the wakins won't be, so
I hope I won't have a reason to catch them. As far as mixing koi &
goldfish, people do, I prefer to keep them separate so I know the fry are
pure (if I get fry). ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us