Old 10-05-2008, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Katey Didd Katey Didd is offline

Default Squash vine borers

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Katey Didd" wrote in
:

wrote in message
Of course, crop rotation is another option.

We have two vegetable gardens several hundred feet apart.
Everything is rotated but the greens. The borers found the
squash. A neighbor suggested we cover them with screening
but the cost is too much. The soil is rich with compost and
the plants get huge.

the borers are generally only an issue with seedlings though.
sometimes tinfoil collars work, or if the borers are already
in the vine slit it & remove them. do not compost vines killed
by borers. sanitation helps a lot too.

The vine borers here get into the main stem and kill the plant, not the
seedlings. They usually start their damage when the fruits have already
started to form. I've yet to ever see the adults. I've tried to slit the
vines to remove them and the plants would die anyway. They're not easy to
find in the vines and slitting the vines seems to kill the plants even
faster. Have you tried tinfoil collars and did the work for you?

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there