Old 10-05-2008, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Katey Didd Katey Didd is offline

Default Squash vine borers

"Dee" wrote in message
om...
"Katey Didd" wrote in
:

How do you stop them from killing the vines? I tried to cover the
vines with soil but that didn't work. I tried Sevin dust. That
didn't work either. What are you doing that works? We are growing
squash, water mellons and cantalopes.

My neighbor dusts with BT and also injects the vines with a BT
solution, and the vines take over his backyard and produce like crazy.

Another option is rubbing Vicks VapoRub on the stems, which
supposedly will deter vine borers. Maybe the VapoRub plus wrapping the
stems with foil would increase the effectiveness. I have not tried
this tip but it seems like it might be worth a shot.

It's certainly affordable and worth a try. Thanks.

Dee