Old 05-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Neighbours

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Barry & Iris

McCanna
writes

Our nearest neighbours are over a quarter of a mile away, but all

the
farmers in the surrounding area are wonderful bar one, who farms a
field on one of our boundaries. He is very careless with his
weedkiller and we find every year that over a metre inside our
boundaries starts to die off. He does the same to all the
neighbouring farmers and one took revenge last year by killing off
some of his maize. We have asked him to be more careful, but we

just
get a shrug. Our main concern is to know when he does it and what

he
uses because of our two precious dogs. Our youngest has this
afternoon been taken to the vet by my husband as he is suddenly far
from well and we hope and pray he has not eaten something. I am

just
waiting and hoping ..............

Iris McCanna

Iris, Colin Boswell is/was a Farmer here on the Isle of Wight at
Newchurch and farms/grows Garlic.

One of his employees asked for protective clothing whilst spraying

the
fields of Garlic, this was refused and said employee was sacked.

Employee took Boswell to court for unfair dismissal. Employee not

only
won the case, but Boswell was fined heavily (to such an extent that

'believe' he had to sell his share of the farm), not only for lack

of
care in providing protection for his employees and sacking same,

BUT,
for using a banned chemical, so,

A) Is your farmer using a banned chemical? (I doubt it, but it might
stir things up a bit if you ask in the right places as to what he is
using)

B) Is your farmer taking proper precautions? (By the sound of it,

no)

C) Have you complained to Environmental Health?

D) Have you complained via your vet?

I love these cases ;-}

Chase him.

Best wishes

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this. First of all, our youngest dog is a bit better. The
vet has said it is a gastric problem and he has eaten something he
shouldn't. He is nowhere near his normal self, but hopefully
tomorrow he will be when the medication takes effect. Our vet is
excellent and, yes, we have spoken to him about this problem.

No care is taken at all. The farmer does not wear any protective
clothing, not even a mask. He never does, not when liming,
weedkilling or fertilising. I have to go inside when he is spraying
as it was discovered a couple of years ago that I was allergic to
Thiruam which is one of the components of both weedkillers and
fertilisers. Gives me asthma symptoms.

Environmental Health is not very prevalent in this area of Normandie,
something we've taken up with the Mairie and councillors several
times. A Gallic shrug again! Yes, it all exists but appears is not
enforced.

Thanks for your help. We love chasing too -)

Best wishes
Iris