Old 10-05-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson Sally Thompson is offline

Default What can i sow this late?

On Sat, 10 May 2008 01:37:16 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote
(in article ):

Due to events this year i have been unable to have any time to do any
sowing or planting out until this week.
Apart from all my special cuttings dying from the heat in the greenhouse
I have tons of seeds i can use.
What can i salvage from this late in the season?
Can i try sungold tomatoes even if sowing them now?
Just planted the Charlotte sets to see and also the onion sets as you
never know till you try.
Trouble is I'm not sure about the other vegetables or sweet peas etc.

Janet, I am very much a bumbling amateur and not at all a winter gardener and
sow seeds at very variable times of year depending on weather, what I'm doing
elsewhere etc, and I find that no matter when I sow them they tend to crop at
about the same time!

For instance, one year I sowed runner bean seeds on 23 March and started
picking them on 18 July, and another year I sowed them on 14 May and started
picking on 28 July! Same with tomatoes - I have sowed them at different
times between 24 March and 14 May and they always start cropping at about the
same time each year. I have also sown sweet pea seeds at about this time,
with great success. So I would go for it!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.freerice.com/index.php