Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower Garden Design Ideas: How To Create An Amazing Garden!

On May 10, 9:22 am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 09:06:32 +0100, Sacha wrote:
On 10/5/08 08:54, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

snip

We have lots of rhubarb, but are running short of instant custard.
This morning I heard a cuckoo for the first time this year and finally we have
got swallows. Two wood pigeons are doing disgusting things in the trees at
dawn.
The green parakeet is a regular visitor.
Today it will be 26C again and there isn't a cloud in the sky.

I haven't heard a cuckoo in years, other than on Tresco but a friend says
she heard one in her village which is about 5 miles away. The wood pigeons
seems always to be doing something disgusting and the rooks are copying
them!

The wood pigeons skipped making a nest this year. Every time they built one last
year the strong winds blew it down.

We've seen a baby thrush looking rather surprised on what was
possibly its maiden flight and the first customer of the year has been in
grave distress at the plight of a baby blackbird 'because it can't fly'.

I found half a blackbird's egg shell on the lawn, but there is no sign of baby
ones.
Our 16 year old cat is out of action ATM as a result of it breaking a tooth.
We hadn't noticed. It was giving a good impression of being on it's last legs at
the beginning of the week, a shot of antibiotic pain killer and the extraction
of the broken tooth has made it a born again kitten and hyperactive at night.

lot of people seem not to know that blackbirds can't fly when they leave the
nest and so are prey to cats and other marauders, though I must say that our
blackbird numbers seem just fine. It's one of nature's great design faults!
We had a woodpecker on the peanut feeder a few days ago and usually it
visits some trees in a field over the lane.
Lovely sunny day here and everything is burgeoning wonderfully - the lanes
look wonderful and the fields of rapeseed are absolutely searing to the eyes
- very dramatic.

The garden needs rain.
--

Martin