Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardening survey,

On May 10, 11:46 am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 02:57:04 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 10, 8:37 am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 9 May 2008 14:32:41 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 9, 10:12 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 9 May 2008 14:06:06 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 9, 9:59 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 9 May 2008 13:56:51 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 9, 3:47 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 09 May 2008 13:06:08 +0100, Sacha wrote:
On 9/5/08 12:45, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:
snip

I went for a look for primroses in some land we own opposite our
house, after thrashing my way through nettles etc., I finally found a
huge area absolutely covered in them. They were all yellow and with
long tall stalks, not like the little ones that I put into pots, any
idea what they are called?

Judith

Cowslips?

Duh it can;t be that easy. I was going to suggest daffodils )
--

Martin

Twice today young Martin, behave, even I know a daff from a primula/
primrose, cowslip lol.

I thought you knew a cowslip from a primrose too )
--

Martin

Martin, sweetheart, I should know, I don't. I never pretend to know
something I don't and therefore I often stick my foot in my mouth!!
Now, I know what a cowslip is but I'm still not too sure on daffs G

About these hornbeams that we were sold as beech, I've never seen hornbeams on
sale as hornbeams in a garden centre.
--

Martin

Eh? explique?

28 years ago we tried to plant a beech hedge around our garden. We made 3
attempts buying 19 plants from Bakker each time. Of the 57 plants we bought only
4 grew the others were DOA.
Of the four that grew one didn't keep it's dry leaves in winter - the hornbeam.
We have recently tried again using a different garden centre, this time much
more successfully, other than that the garden centre wouldn't give us a refund
on the plants that turned out to be dead " You should have brought them back
earlier"
It's a bit hard to know if the plants are dead or not until spring arrives.
Anyway in both batches we have a hornbeam masquerading as a beech tree.
--

Martin

They wouldn't give you your money back? Bad service, no wonder you
didn't go back. Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe we got a bargain with the hornbeams?
--

Martin

Would you say so? Now, I have to go into the garden and do a bit of
planting, what did I say about rain, perhaps it could, just for an
hour or so when I am in bed!

Judith

Judith