Old 10-05-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Tomato emergency........ please help!!!!!!!

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

I've considered one of those! Where do you get them?
Are they legal everywhere?

Om, you get them at the hardware store. They're called a "weed burner."
You use propane to fuel them. They're kind of expensive.

We use them for everything but flame killing weeds here...

Mostly the SO uses ours (we have several) to pre-heat our diesel farm
tractors and bulldozers in the winter, so they'll start. It's not a
trick for the faint of heart, as the oil & grease on heavy equipment
will light on fire readily, so you have to be prepared to put the fire
out.

I have used our weed burner to burn the dried weeds/grass off a garden
plot in the spring. Timing is critical -- it's got to be exactly the day
the grass dries out enough to burn, but before the whole neighborhood is
dried-out, so I don't start a forest fire.

We have a big hemp nettle infestation down on the ranch, but I was told
to not flame kill it. It's in the loafing area where our cows hang out
all winter, so the soil is real heavy in organics, which will catch fire
like crazy, once it dries out.

Jan

I was mostly interested in burning out green weeds in my gravel
driveway. It's a bitch to weed. g I don't like to use roundup because
my herb garden is next to the driveway and I have border plants I don't
want to damage with any drift.

I normally just attack them with the weed eater and mow them all the way
to the ground.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein