Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default A Pea problem

In article , phorbin1
@yahoo.com says...
In article , tvrchimaera.299b546
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi,

I bought some Cavalier seeds (peas) from my Organic supplier.

Unfortunately only about one in five actually produces a plant.

Is this typical?

Would appreciate any advice.

Kind Regards
Brian

What kind of weather are you having?

Last year we had few germinate in an overwarm spring and then in an
August cool spell the rest came on.

Following up my own post.

Peas like cool weather.

We've not done so, but when my wife was working as a garden helper, they
used ice on the soil over peas to get them to germinate. I forget
whether they put the peas in late, or the spring was too warm.

Germination is typically near 100% here.

....and we were worrying about the peas until our recent cool spell. Most
have since, germinated and are growing nicely.