Old 10-05-2008, 04:48 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish
Salahoona Salahoona is offline

Default Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides

On May 10, 4:02 pm, jl wrote:
In article

A combination of Spanish Broom and Tree Lupin make an excellent local
windbreak (scented).

Thanks for the tip.

Mind you, our house is 200m high on a mountain and open to the South, East
and West - in fact we can see across Lough Foyle from the Donegal
mountains and the mouth of the Roe to the Sperrins. Some of the winds we
get - particularly from the West - are /very/ severe.

I tend to plant only those trees that I know will grow up here because
I've seen them elsewhere. Even the oak tree I planted three years ago
seems to be dying. Ash, larch and spruce on the other hand seem to be
doing very well.

Jochen

--

------------------------------------
Limavady and the Roe Valley

They grow easily from seed, buy online and it's not to late. If you
use Eucl. Viminalis; plant them only a foot apart and in a group. They
will support each other in the wind (groups of two metres diameter)
and when the trunks are about eight inches wide they can be harvested.
Paint the cut on the living trunks with oil and they will sprout
again: same as Salix Viminalis (Osier Willow). Tree Lupin is sown by
aircraft in some parts of the world and their roots go sown about
twenty feet (stops soil erosion) - also Spanish Broom and Tree Lupin
are legumes and produce nitrogen.

Donal