Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Organic slug pellets

In article ,
"Val" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

Every year I ask where can I purchase an ounce of iron phosphate ?
Sluggo and others consist of 1% iron phosphate and 99 % breads or a
starch.

Active ingredient 1% for expensive box .

Bill who would dissolve iron phosphate in soda.

Interesting that you mention this. Just recently on a local TV gardening
program I was watching a caller asked the same question of our 'organic
guru'. He explained that the other '90%' inert ingredient served two
purposes. 1. to facilitate proper and easy distribution. 2. to serve as an
attractant. Apparently just spraying or flinging iron phosphate around won't
do much, it rapidly dissipates, assimilates, can't remember the exact term
used, into the soil and is quickly rendered ineffective. If you just pile it
the slugs won't be drawn to it and eat it.

If you really want to do DIY Sluggo I'd look up a copy of the MSDS sheet,
get the exact chemical name and google 'chemical suppliers'. I just did that
and one of the first hits of 'affordable, free shipping' supplier's smallest
amount available was $689.00. You may wish to search further. I can buy a
whole lot of Sluggo for 600 bucks.

Val

That is what Bill was talking about Val. Buying the ferric phosphate
(Fe+++ PO4---) to add to bread, or mushed banana, or whatever. If your
going to buy the commercial product, Home Despot has a ferric phosphate
bait for about half the price of Sluggo. The idea, though, was to cut
out the middleman:-)
--

Billy