Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish
jl jl is offline

Default Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides

In article ,
Hal Ó Mearadhaigh. wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
Hal Ã" Mearadhaigh. wrote:

- that trade certainly is mentioned quite frequently in
various history books.

Which ones precisely?

I missed the original question. Which ones: I've recently made a study of
English history in the 19th century and the various books - amongst
others, include the journals of Mrs Arbuthnot, the journals of Charles
Greville, gleanings of the journals of his brother, letters by the Duke of
Wellington and various histories of the period. The subject was so
important that it cropped up every once in a while.

At that time only Prussia, Scandinavia, Russia and other Baltic countries
who still had large parts of the original Northern forest to harvest,
could supply the huge needs of a big fleet. Not to mention all the
charcoal you needed in order to make bronze for the guns.

I will not read them all again and give page and line number - it was hard
work reading them all in the first place!

Jochen

--

Limavady and the Roe Valley