Old 11-05-2008, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Katey Didd Katey Didd is offline

Default Squash vine borers

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Katey Didd wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Katey Didd wrote:
How do you stop them from killing the vines? I tried to cover the vines
with soil but that didn't work. I tried Sevin dust. That didn't work
either. What are you doing that works? We are growing squash, water
mellons and cantalopes.

There's a squash variety called "tatuma" that is resistant to squash
borers. Just be warned that the vines are aggressive and can run about
50 feet. They taste pretty good, though.

I have not seen these seeds in the stores. Is this a winter or summer
squash?

Bob

It can go either way (but usually used as a summer squash.) BTW, the
*squash* taste pretty good, the vines taste terrible.

Apparently not to the borers. wink

Bob