Old 11-05-2008, 04:58 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Ferd Farkel Ferd Farkel is offline

Default how to promote root growth from clippings

On May 4, 4:13 pm, "LEPS-L" wrote:
Hi all,

I have heard that there is a commercially available hormone or something
that can be used to make clippings from trees and plants grow roots. Does
anyone know what it is? I want to take some clipping from my trees and grow
a few sapplings. Thanks!

Rootone F is easy to find, works okay. Stick cuttings in
water, then Rootone, then into 50/50 vermiculite / perlite
medium. Keep moist, under humidity dome to slow
transpiration through leaves. Plan for failure rate in
cuttings you have no experience with by sticking more
than you need.

If cuttings fail to root in 1 month, try airlayering, where
you strike roots before severing the branch from the
mother. You could also tip layer, where you bend
the branch down and bury the end, weighting it down
with a stone. You could also bury an entire branch
if it's flexible enough, producing a long chain of
daughters. Neither of the last two methods requires
hormones, just patience.

I did a privet hedge by digging a trench in fall and
filling it with sand, then stuck it with 6" end cuttings.
Come spring, all were rooted and ready for transplanting.