Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish
Someone else Someone else is offline

Default Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides

On Sat, 10 May 2008 13:12:01 +0000 (GMT), jl wrote:

In article ,
Someone else wrote:

As far as I'm aware Britain got most of it's marine supplies from the
Baltic countries

What? There were substantial Oak forests in Latvia?

There are more countries around the Baltic than just Latvia.

Extend my question to include Estonia, Lithuania, Sweden and FInland
then...if that pleases you.

For the ships that fought the Spanish Armada?

For the British fleet - when it was still built out of wood - certainly
until about 1860. I wouldn't get to hung up about the Spanish Armada - the
british fleet was quite small in those days, as were the ships.

I'm not "hung up" about it. I refer in particular to that time period
because that is when the Irish forests had a huge amount of damage
done to them and I am responding to questions about the deforestation
of Ireland...

Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to have felled the trees in
nearby Ireland?

I have no idea.

Well...its closer and the local population, who are the ones that
would have been doing the harvesting, were more 'under the thumb' of
their British overlords than any Baltic forestry worker....plus the
distance that the timber needed to traverse was much shorter...indeed
some of the ships were probably built in Ireland itself...

I'm sure the procurement agents in those days were quite
competent

What makes you so confident of that?

and got their supplies from whoever could deliver the quality
and quantity need. The demands of a large fleet are quite astonishing -
even for simple things like wooden tackles.

No disagreement.

Nik