Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 AM posted to rec.garden,uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Anti Slug and Snail Experiment

"Zootal" wrote in message

I'm going to try copper wire around unglazed pots. We have voracious
slugs, some are over 7" long and hunt a couple hours after dark. Beer
traps didn't work so well, snail/slug bait is much better. Some years
are much worse than others, I think it depends on the past winter
temperatures and duration. I've heard the slugs dislike hair, sharp
sand, gravel or diatomaceous earth. But, I've seen pictures of
slugs/snails crossing a razor or knife without getting cut, I guess
due to slime protection. The west coast has some huge slugs that
invade many gardens. Some pick them off early in the morning.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0082.JPG

That is my daughter - she will sit for an hour watching these things crawl
on her hands....

Would you like me to send our slugs and snails for her to play with? ;-)

Whereabouts are you?

Mike