Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flamegun weedkiller - Sheen X300

On Sun, 11 May 2008 06:48:05 GMT, Jim wrote:

1. Ensure vavle closed
2. 3/4 tank of paraffin

Yep.

3. Heat the end near the coiled pipe on a gas barbecue (how hot, how
long, necessary ?).
4. Pump up pressure to 3/4 scale, that's a guess (scale is 0-60 psi).

Swap these two around, it'll cool while you pump. Don't know about the
pressure. I might go for 50% to start with then adjust once I've gained
experience.

Not sure that the bits will get hot enough hot over a barbie. I'd expect
to find a little indentation or spoon to hold about a table spoon full of
meths some where near the jet/coiled pipe.

5. Open valve fully and ignite.

Light the meths and when it's almost all burnt turn on the valve slowly,
the burning meths should ignite the vapour.

You way runs the very real risk of either have a jet of hot(ish) liquid
parafin or clouds of vapour (whumpf!) or something inbetween (20' flame
thrower).

6. Adjust valve for best flame.

Yep, and keep it pumped up.

Any other tips on maintaining and using this device.

Check the jet is clear. You really need a proper pricker for that.

--
Cheers
Dave.