Old 11-05-2008, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Spiders

On May 11, 12:16*pm, "Wally" wrote:
I was on my allotment this morning in the
nice warm sunshine and noticed hundreds
of spiders running around all over the ground.

Are these spiders the same as the ones that
live in my house, my shed, etc?

And can I hope that they will eat the flies and
bugs that live off my vegetables?

I do hope so.

Wally

Wolf spiders (genus Pardosa from Lycosidae) are small (body about
small or medium finger nail size) and dark and run around. They catch
prey on foot so to speak and you seem them all over when the soil is
open. They run very fast and the females often carry bags of eggs
attached to their rear ends. You do not get them much indoors.
All spiders are good and nice anyway although they will probably not
eat any of the flies or bugs you are worried about. Ladybirds might
be better at that.