Old 05-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Cass

Default What can I add to the soil to produce "stronger" roses?

Shiva wrote:

Jane Lumley wrote:

.

I think they need more everything when they're struggling - more water,
more mulch, more rotted manure, more, and more frequent food and more
antifungal sprays in poor conditions.

Agreed!

[...]

and I find Osmocote nearly worthless .

You've tried it and you really feel it doesn't help your roses? I
recommended it because Cass likes it and she grows gorgeous roses. But then
she uses fish emulsion and I don't. Hmmm. I have not yet put mine down
(though it is past time) and now wonder if I ought to just go with the
Mill's Mix, some fish emulsion, and my regular granular 3-month. Would you
be willing to elaborate on your experiences with Osmocote? My main reason
for wanting to use it is that it is time release--I get busy and distracted
and once overfertilized my roses and KILLED some in pots. Thanks.

Before we get too far down this road, let's be clear about Osmocote.
There are a number of different kinds. The stuff you buy in the store
around here is only 3 month stuff. That might be fine when you repot,
but it's not much use in the garden except on the short run.

Nursery grade Osmocote is a different kettle of fish. Take a look at
the AM Leonard site. The stuff is forumulated for different climates so
that the release rate is adjusted to the average temperatures and
length of growing season. We have cool soils but moderate air temps, so
a number of roses grow 12 months a year, tho most slow down top growth
from December to February.

I've heard others say that Osmocote releases fast in warm climates.
What I don't know is whether they were using consumer grade stuff or
real nursery grade Osmocote with Minors.

In any event, it simply isn't true that it is worthless when the right
product is applied. Take a look at the results at the San Jose Heritage
Rose Garden if you need proof.