Old 11-05-2008, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default What can i sow this late?

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Due to events this year i have been unable to have any time to do any
sowing or planting out until this week.
Apart from all my special cuttings dying from the heat in the greenhouse I
have tons of seeds i can use.
What can i salvage from this late in the season?
Can i try sungold tomatoes even if sowing them now?
Just planted the Charlotte sets to see and also the onion sets as you
never know till you try.
Trouble is I'm not sure about the other vegetables or sweet peas etc.

Onions etc will be fine, just a little late and probably a bit small,
depends on the summer.
Peas and beans will be OK as will carrots, leeks and parsnips. Lettuce is
planted throughout the season anyway. Sweetcorn, provided it's one of the
modern quick growing type will be OK too.
All the cucurbits will be Ok, and will probably catch up with earlier
planted ones, given a bit of extra TLC.
If you plant some summer cabbages you will get nice autumn ones, but it's
still the right time to plant winter/spring cabbages, cauliflowers, and
sprouts.
You can plant some Toms for outside now but I would probably buy in plants
this late.

Basically it all depends on our summer.

Hope that helps

--